Butler, Nephew & Co was first established in Porto in 1730 by H. Burmeister and John Nash under the name of Burmeister, Nash & Co. In 1789 James Butler was taken on as a partner and the name changed to Nash, Butler & Co. Then in 1829 the name changed for the final time to Butler, Nephew & Co. when James’s nephew joined the company.
Throughout the 19th century and early 20th century the house was known as one of the very top names in Porto and shipped some of the finest ports from their vineyards in the Cima Corgo in the heart of the Douro Valley. Following WW2 the house was sold to Gonzales Byass and later to Vasconcellas. The brand was then acquired by Christie’s Port wine producer & shipper who are now in the process of restoring the name to its former glory.
ABV : 20%